Ernest Arthur George Cope.


He came from Buckden, his parents, William Thomas and Grace lived at Buckworth and Hardwick.  He was transferred to the 14 (Service) Bat. Royal Warwickshire Regt.  with the service number 30246.  He was wounded < 20/10/1916.

He was posted to the base depot B. E . F. France on 26th July 1916, he was rationed up to and for that day. Order was part 2 No. 171 issued by W. L. Stephenson, 2/Lieut. & acting Adjutant, 2/1st Hunts. Cyclist Battalion. The order was issued at Well Camp Alford at 8-00 p.m., 28th July 1916. Ref. 63 states that he was born in Camden, London. Ref 440 states that he came from Buckden. Royal British Legion ROH = died. Killed by shell fire whilst cleaning rifle, He was 19 years old & had been in France for 10 months, he was in 11 platoon. He was killed by the same shell that killed Pte. W. E. Storey.

Ref 97 18/5/1917 = Pte. Cope of Buckden killed. = Pte. E. A. G. Cope, of Buckden, was killed in action on May 7th. He was 19 years of age, and an apprentice to Mr. J. Milner, grocer, Buckden. He was a general favorite with all. Pte. Cope joined the Cyclists and was transferred to the Warwicks. His mother has received a letter from an officer of the Regiment stating that Pte. Cope was killed by shell fire. "During our recent spell in the front line trenches we experienced a considerable amount of shelling from the enemy, but I am glad to tell you that throughout the whole of that trying period your son maintained a cheerful demeanour. He was in the act of cleaning his rifle in view of a probable crisis when a shell landed in the trench causing his instantaneous death and also of a comrade Pte. W. E. Storey. We buried them both behind our lines at nightfall. I take this opportunity of tendering, on behalf of myself and his comrades in No. 11 platoon, our deep sympathy with you in the loss of your son who proved himself, while with us, brave as a soldier and straightforward and honest as a man".

Hunts. County News 25/5/1917 = Pte. W. E. Storey, of St. Neots, Killed. The many friends all over the county of Inspector and Mrs. Storey, St. Neots, will feel the utmost sympathy and regret at the news of the death of their son, Pte. W. E. Storey (Warwicks Regt. ) who was killed don May 8th. He was wounded on September 3rd last year and, after being in various hospitals, came home just before Christmas, leaving again on January 16th. About the middle of February he returned to France. The deceased soldier, before joining the Army was an assistant to Mr. Cobb, grocer, St. Neots, who highly valued his services, for he was always most reliable and thoroughly competent. In the town generally he was greatly esteemed. His age was 32. Inspector Storey has received the following letters:- 10th May 1917. Dear Mr. Storey, - It is with the most profound regret that I write to inform you of the death in action of your son, Pte. W. E. Storey, from shell fire, the day before yesterday (May 8th). During our spell in the front line trenches we experienced considerable shelling from the enemy artillery, but it may be of some consolation to you to know that you son maintained a cheerful endurance until the end throughout that trying period, and met his death fearlessly, that he preserved a soldierly determination to the last is evident from the fact that he was cleaning his rifle in view of a probable crisis, when a shell landed in the trench causing the instantaneous death of your son and his friend E. A. G. Cope. We buried them both in soldiers' graves behind our trenches, and I have handed in the exact map reference to the place of internment to our Headquarters. I take this opportunity to tender on behalf of myself and the whole platoon our deep sympathy with you in your great loss, which will be felt sincerely by us all for a true, upright and brave comrade, Yours sincerely L. J. Wood, 2nd Lieutenant. 

A friend of the deceased soldier, Pte. Mashford, in the course of a letter says just a few lines to convey the sad news of your son's death. I suppose that you have already heard, but being your son's companion, and the promise we made, I felt it my duty to write. He was killed by a shell, instantly, so he did not have any pain. I think I saw him take his last breath, as I was beside him. It was a shock to me and I miss him very much, as he was my best pal I had out here, we always shared in everything. I do not know how I escaped, as there were four all together. I should like a photo of him. 

There was another Hunts. Young fellow we knew from Buckden. It was a terrible day I can tell you. Accept my deepest sympathy. 

. .
. .
. .

If you can help with any data on this Huntingdonshire Cyclist please contact me at

Return to Soldiers Section. Return to Main Menu.


. . Martyn Smith